- Click the start button (The little Windows flag on the bottom left of the screen, duh.)
- In the search bar, type: CMD - hit enter
- In the command prompt window that opens, type: powercfg.cpl,1 - hit enter
- A Power Options window will open.
- Expand the Power buttons and lid section (click the little plus sign, dummy)
- Expand the Start menu power button section (the little plus, again)
- Click either On battery or Plugged in and use the dropdown menu to select Shut Down
- Click OK and you're all set!
Wednesday, September 19, 2007
Vista Start Menu: Changing the Power Button Function
This is the quick and dirty way to make the power button on the Vista Start menu actually turn off your PC, instead of putting it to sleep.