Monday, April 14, 2008

Guess what kind of gun I just ordered?

I'll give you a hint, this magazine and those bullets go in it.




If you didn't get it, my next post will probably give it away anyway, so I'll just tell you.

My wife and I drove around looking for gun dealers in the Binghamton area today. We found a few of our targeted stores were nothing more than some guy with an FFL selling guns out of his trailer/farm home/etc., so we skipped those stores.

Actually, after skipping those stores, the only store we found was McLain's Sporting Goods in Endicott. He had a good selection of stuff, new and used. I told him I was looking for a semi-auto rifle in 7.62x39. He had a Saiga rifle in stock, but I just don't like the fact that they are an AK look alike that uses proprietary magazines that cost a fortune. Also, any mods to the rifle are complicated and/or expensive.

The owner was very nice, and told me that I could look through the catalogs from his suppliers, pick something out, and he would order it for me. Well, by God, I did just that.

In the end, I picked up the most infamous 30 caliber rifle in the world: An AK-47. It was almost as cheap as the Saiga, but easier to modify as much as I want. It takes AK magazines, which are cheap and plentiful. It will be a hell of a lot of fun to shoot. I also picked up 3 pre-ban, 30 round magazines for it.

Now I just have to wait for the thing to come in.

No comments: