Thursday, September 18, 2008

Two new TV Show Addictions

When I find a new show I like, I'm all about buying the seasons on DVD and watching them all NOW.

The Unit - I'd never heard of this show. (Shocking, I know, considering I don't have any sort of TV programming at home.) I happened to catch most of an episode while I was living in a hotel in Rockville, MD. At first I thought it was 24, due to Dennis Haysbert's presence. It quickly became apparent it wasn't 24, but I had no idea what it was. I had to look it up on IMDB. Well, then I was curious, and went about finding episodes online to watch, to see if I liked it. I was quickly hooked.
The Unit features layered stories, often intertwining the adventures of the fighting men of the top secret Unit with the lives of the wives they leave on base. It combines action, some dry Army humor, and drama into a highly watchable combination.

Chuck - This show I had heard of, as Amazon's Unbox (which is now defunct and replaced by Video on Demand, a HIGHLY original name...) was constantly bombarding me with ads for it. I finally gave it and watched when they showed the first episode for free. Wait, Adam Baldwin is in this show? I'm in!
Chuck is the tale of an innocent Best Bu...er...Buy More employee, Chuck, who works for the Geek Squa...er....Nerd Herd. Chuck accidentally gets hypnotized and winds up with all the secrets of the NSA and CIA in his brain. The NSA and CIA both send agents to watch over him, and hilarity ensues.
Chuck is the spy show opposite of Burn Notice, and it works well. Where Burn Notice is a spy show filled primarily with drama and action, and backed with a nice dose of comedy, Chuck is primarily a comedy, backed with two scoops of action and drama. I happen to love both shows.

So, there you have it. Two more good TV shows. Who knows, maybe we're on the way back from the swing towards "reality" shows, and TV may become watchable again. Of course, I still won't pay for the privilege of watching commercials, but my DVD library may grow substantially.

No comments: