Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Blood Diamond, 24

I just got to watch the movie Blood Diamond the other night. I thought it was pretty good movie, and the actors were all top notch. I also really like the attention it draws to attrocities that the US doesn't care about, since we are so busy securing oil in other countries. In fact, a character makes a snide remark about how Sierra Leone would be in real trouble if they ever discovered oil instead of diamonds.

I had one gripe with the movie (Look away now if you haven't seen it and don't want the ending spoiled!): DiCaprio dies in the end! I'm not one of those whiners that hates it every time the main character bites it in the end of the movie, but damn, it seems like Leo won't star in a film anymore unless his character dies.

I also just started watching the TV show 24. I'm one of those people who generally just can't be bothered to watch the "in" shows while they are in. I'm either just not interested, or I get annoyed because I am hearing about the show all the time, so I just don't want to see it.

Well, having just found out that Michael Shanks is going to be a regular on 24, I decided that I had to find out if the show was any good. It started out pretty slow and predictable, but I'm now about a quarter of the way through the first season, and it's really picking up and becoming interesting. I'm surprised Fox gave it that long, but that's a subject for another rant.

I'm hoping this avoids the Alias syndrome. That show started out strong, and ended after a really weak couple of seasons. I didn't dislike it at the end, but it was definitely not as interesting as it used to be, and some of the pseudo-Sci-Fi started getting pretty hokey. For that matter, I'm hoping Lost doesn't end up the same way. (I know, Lost isn't a spy show, but it is produced by the same guy who did Alias...)

No comments: