Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Thank you D-Link!

I was getting disconnected over and over again from my Verizon Online DLS service every time there was a thunderstorm in the area. Which, living in the Binghamton area as I do, is about every other freakin' day. One hint of thunder, and the DSL started going on and offline like some disgruntled employee was rapidly flipping a switch somewhere. It's very annoying when you're trying to play a game online, or do any research.

Since my service has been great up until now, and Verizon never shows any service interruptions to me, I figured it had to be the cheap piece of crap DSL modem they gave me, a Westell 6100.

I searched high and low, and finally found a D-Link DSL-2640b DSL modem/router/wireless AP combo box. It was about $100, but it let me go from three boxes on my desk to one, and everything runs great with it. And now that I've been through a couple of thunderstorms with it, I can say without reservation that the crappy Westell modem was indeed the reason I kept losing my connection. The D-Lin k has yet to drop the connection.

So, thank you D-Link, you have yet to let me down!

No comments: