If anyone is having problems getting their X-Fi to give them 5.1 surround in LOTRO with Windows Vista, there is a pretty simple fix.
1. - Go here and download the Open Al 1.1 installer
2. - Install Open Al
3. - navigate to c:/windows/System32 and find the Openal32.dll file
4. - copy Openal32.dll
5. - navigate to your LOTRO folder
6. - rename the openal32.dll in that folder to openal32.bak
7. - paste the openal32.dll you copied from the system32 folder
That's it! Now you should be able to enjoy surround sound in LOTRO again!